Love of horses
The best clients are good, caring horsemen and horsewomen who have a true love for horses and want the best care for their
animals. They also have realistic expectations and go the extra mile when their budget allows. In addition, the best clients
are compliant with the equine practitioner's suggestions and show a high degree of loyalty to the practice.
Reynolds Cowles, DVM
Blue Ridge Equine Clinic
Free Union, Va.
The best clients:
- Respect your time and the horses they own
- Appreciate your services
- Trust your recommendations
- Listen to and follow your directions
- Love horses and want what is best for them.
These clients make it easy for us to forget the bad clients, bad horses, and bad days. They make us love doing our jobs on
a daily basis, even at 2 a.m.
Jennifer Joy Baker, DVM
Equine Associates LLC
My best clients show respect by:
- Valuing my time
- Valuing my knowledge and experience
- Keeping me safe
- Being truthful
Being prepared to pay for services.
My best clients are realistic by:
- Knowing I am not a miracle worker
- Realizing that it takes time to travel
- Knowing not all information on the Internet is relevant or correct
- Realizing medical technology is expensive.
My best clients show a high level of commitment by:
- Following through with prescribed treatments
- Reporting progress or lack of it
- Sharing ideas from other sources of information (farriers, feed stores, the Internet, neighbors) and listening to my explanations.
Greg Smith, DVM
East County Large Animal Practice
El Cajon, Calif.