• Client wants more for their pets.
• Pets are part of the "family."
• Larger Practices.
• Advanced Medicine.
• Specialty Medicine.
Power and Influence
• Which style do you use to persuade others to do what you want?
• Most popular means in America is Power.
• Does that work with educated professionals?
"The ability to do, act, or produce."
"The power of persons or things to affect others, seen only in its effects.
Power is stationary.
o Influence is action.
o You need power to influence, but power alone does not produce an effect.
3 Factors Determine Influence
Communicator's resources of power.
o Legitimate power. (title, owner)
o Resources (money, schedule, patients, personality)
Responder's motive base of influence.
o Willingness to be influenced. (Desire to be accepted, intrinsic gratification)
Method of Influence used.
o Most important
Direct and Indirect Influence
• Intended as clear and direct order, often backed by power.
• No doubt about the purpose or motive.
• Delivered aggressively, could be seen as an attack.
• Difference between this and non-assertive behavior is that it is contrived.
• Intentional by the leader, but viewed as unintentional be the target person.
Which to Use, Power or Influence?
• Decide what outcome of the communication you want.
• Read the other person in the current situation.
• Select an influencing method-direct or indirect, power or influence.
• Implement the technique.
• Reward yourself.
• Evaluate the results.
What Do You Want as Outcome?
• Must answer this question otherwise results are DISASTER!
• Most people try to influence to ease their own emotional or fiscal discomfort, not to effect change.
• Focus on outcome, not problem, action not personality.
The Other Person in the Situation
Hard to see the other when you are emotional.
• What do I want from whom?
• What resources of power do I have?
• What motivates the other? What do they want from me?
• Is there a fit?
• What do I know about this person that is relative to this influence situation?