"Anything perceived as real is real in its consequences" Anonymous
A look at communication
• Effective Communication
Characteristics of effective communicators
• The Process of Interaction
• "I" and "You" Messages
• Constructive Confrontation
• Focus on behavior
• Maintain self-confidence and self-esteem
• Maintain constructive relationships
• Take initiative
• Lead by example
Focus on behavior
• Do you tend to focus on personalities in your practice?
Are personalities getting in the way of productive communication?
Self confidence & self esteem
• This is the worst place to offend.
• It is the difference between the professional and the average.
• Could you cite examples of how you do this in your hospital?
• Are you resistant to truthful communication because it always "ends up bad"?
• Do you view feedback or critiques as a personal attack?
• How do hidden agendas and "office politics" effect truthful communication in your practice?
Do it now
• It is passive aggressive to wait.
• You are being paid to make your place of employment the best it can be. Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?