How to tell if you are a toxic manager (Proceedings)
Why this? Why now?
• Most common complaint of managers in veterinary medicine.
The toxic employee• Highly Intelligent and Confident.
• Not happy unless they are calling the shots.
• Use "Toxic Tactics" to get their way.
• Note to women: Rarely will you exhibit all of the characteristics of the alpha doctor), but you can have many.
• It's about being socialized to be good collaborators and compromising.
• Reach the "top" because they are natural leaders.
• Comfortable with responsibility and being the "final word."
• Get stressed when they DON'T have tough decisions to make.
• They get such a charge out of being in control that they willingly take on more responsibilities than any normal human being would.
• Genius and Madness are hard to separate.
• Their greatest strengths are also their greatest weaknesses.
• Independent and Action Oriented.
• Take for granted extraordinarily high performance.
• Expect the same in others.
• "Impressive, but I wouldn't want to work for them!"
• Think extraordinarily fast, hard to keep up with.
• Prevents them from listening to others (especially those who do not alpha speak.)
• Impatience causes them to miss subtle but important details (lack empathy).
• They have opinions about EVERYTHING.
• Rarely if ever admit to being wrong or incomplete.
• They KNOW they are smarter than most people and learn very early to circumvent "rules."
• "The rules don't apply to me."
• As adults they believe that their insights are so unique that they put complete faith in their instincts.
Because their intuitions are often right, they feel justified in focusing on the flaws in other people's ideas or arguments. The results: